Monday, January 26, 2009

Quick trip to Grandpa's

Last weekend Jon and I made a trip out to Phoenix to meet with members of a mission agency we are looking into as a possible sending agency. Jon went out Friday and I followed Saturday. Since our flights conveniently had layovers in Chicago going both ways I asked my dad to babysit Jonah so we could make the most of our short time.

The trip with Jonah from D.C. to Chicago was a bit of a challenge for me. I had to park in the extended parking lot, catch a shuttle to the terminal, print my boarding pass (thankfully I wasn't checking any luggage), get through security with Baby, stroller, backpack, and small rolling suitcase, take a shuttle to the gate, realize that by printing my boarding pass at the self-service kiosk I didn't have a boarding pass for Jonah, get the boarding pass... By the time I accomplished all this we were about last to board on the full flight. I had to get down the aisle to the back with the rolling suitcase, backpack, and wriggling toddler and hoping not to hit too many passengers along the way. I thought we were going to have to sit in a middle seat (totally miserable) but a kind man offered to move to the middle so we could have the aisle. After sitting there for about 20 or 30 minutes the woman in front of us turned around and asked if we could switch seats because she didn't think she could handle Jonah kicking her in the back for the entire flight. So we switched and thankfully had another sympathetic seat-mate next to us who didn't mind Jonah handing her his cup and toys and examining her extremely long fingernails.
While we waited to meet Grandpa at Midway we found a Kids Corner with a big screen playing cartoons AND a payphone. What could be better?

He's only one year old, but he has plenty of important calls to make.
We found Dad waiting outside security and Jonah was very quick to shout, "Grandpa!" and then looking at me, "Bye Bye!" No separation anxiety from this kid! I was just so glad not to have to struggle through a similar flight ordeal on the four-hour trip to Phoenix (and four hours back on Sunday). So Jonah got to have some nice Grandpa bonding time and was a very good boy, judging from the report I got. He even pooped on the potty for Grandpa (the first repeat performance of this accomplishment since he did it for me the first time two weeks ago!)
After a quick visit in Phoenix Jon and I turned around and came back on Sunday afternoon. Dad and Jonah were waiting outside security and I knelt down for Jonah to come give me a hug. He came running toward me and I thought it was going to be a wonderfully precious Kodak moment... and he kept running right past me shouting, "Daddy! Daddy!" Oh well. Maybe next time he'll be happy to see me too.


Ricky and Heather said...

Washington DC? Pregnant?! Woah! Congratulations. We scoured the blog for more details but that's all we could come up with. We had no idea you guys moved again. My old phone took a hike so im going to try to find John's number from someone to get some details. Hope you guys are well! Ricky and Heather

Emily said...

Glad you had a great trip! That's so nice your dad could help out with Jonah and I'm sure it made the trip more enjoyable (not that you don't love having Jonah around too!).

That's too cute about him being excited about seeing Jon. Maybe Jonah just didn't expect to see Jon there, though, since he wasn't with you on the first leg of the trip. Jonah only associated YOU dropping him off and picking him up, so he was surprised to see Jon...maybe??!

Anonymous said...

If you ever have a lay over in Toledo, I think Jonah should come and stay with Aunt Jane. He is so adorable. We would love to have him. Jane

Anonymous said...

If you ever have a lay over in Toledo, I think Jonah should come and stay with Aunt Jane. He is so adorable. We would love to have him. Jane

James, Carolyn and William Broughton said...

Hi Linnea! I'm following your blog... but had no idea you moved to D.C.! Which missions agency are you looking into? And congratulations on being pregnant again! I miss you- it would be great to catch up on the phone sometime! Our number here in N.Z. is +64 3 343 3731, if you want to call, or we could Skype (jandcb) sometime.

Annika said...

Oh, I hear you on the airport stuff...we've done it a number of times and it is almost always AWFUL. We did it with the three of them in the fall, and finally caved in and brought the laptop along for videos on the flights...we just felt outnumbered! :)

And I have totally had that experience of my kids running right by me for their Daddy...gotta love it. I used to pick Jack up from the nursery at church and he would look at me and cry, "No, Daddy!" Nice.

Hope you're feeling well! How far along are you?